Sights

Sights

in Balatonszepezden

It is a former small fishing-village with 420 inhabitants surrounded by forests and mountains which was built on the hills along the shore. In the 13th century it was inhabited by equerries, then it was owned by local noblemen, the Veszprém episcopacy, and the Somogyvár Benedictine Abbey. As the inhabitants suffered much due to the Turkish attacks, German settlers were established in the village in the middle of the 18th century. The baths of Szepezd was founded by Vince Víriusz on its own estate at the turn of the century who took great credit for the protection of vineyards and the introduction of new species during the phylloxera epidemic.

Roman catholic

church

The neighbourhood’s one and only votive church was built in a Romanesque style in the 13th century based on the pledge of fishermen who ran into a storm on Lake Balaton. Its white tower showed the way home for the fishermen in the past, while today for the sailors. Mass: on Sunday, at 11.30am

Reformed

church

It was built in a Late Baroque style in the 18th century. Church service: on Sunday, at 10.00am

Evangelical

church

It was built in a Late Baroque style in the 18th century. Church service: on Sunday, at 08.30am

Lajos Gulyás

memorial

The monument of Lajos Gulyás, Reformed minister and teacher of religion who was executed in Győr, in 1957 due to its role he played in the events of 1956.

Pogánykő

It is a huge red sandstone rock written all over with Hungarian runes standing in the garden of the English-style castle (today it operates as a hotel) built by the ethnographer, Dr. Gyula Sebestyén.

Kopjafa

Kopjafa – was inaugurated on 15 March, 2004.

Heroes’

memorial

A memorial in honour of the Hungarian soldiers died a glorious death in the First World War. It was built by knights within the framework of social work; it is made of red sandstone and white marble with a metal Turul atop. Year of inauguration: 1935.

World War 2

memorial

A memorial in honour of the war dead of Balatonszepezd.

House of

Ethnographic Collections

The small room of the basement was used as a library in the time of József Horváth (1936-1942), where young people gathered. The larger room was used a “gendarmes” for a period and later became a storage room. Prior to 1945 it was a town hall, then a medical office. From 1992 it was a pharmacy until July 2004 and is now the House of Ethnographic Collections.